Monday, July 12, 2010

Ciao Sardinia

Ciao is Italian for hello and goodbye…kind of like Aloha in Hawaii.  We sailed the Straights of Bonifacio with no problem and found a park authority mooring buoy at Island Budelli on Cala Nord.  This is part of the Northern Group of La Maddalena Marine Reserve.  It cost us 25 Euro for one night.  We saw our first Mediterranean dolphin today!

We dinghied around a bit, passed the swim beach which was buoyed off and found a place with only another dinghy there and kids playing in the water.  John jumped in to snorkel and I walked the beach.  Then came the Park Rangers who told us we had to leave NOW.  I told them I didn’t know where my husband was but they found him around the island and told him to leave NOW…apparently we were in a restricted zone of the park.  Good thing they didn’t see my sea shells I had found and had thrown in the dinghy. 

The snorkeling here isn’t that spectacular.  Of course, I have been to some of the best snorkeling areas in the world and have seen some very colorful fish.  Here they are mostly brown or blue with a stripe or a spot.  Lots of sea cucumbers and small neon guppies in schools.  The water has been very clear and emerald green though which makes it very inviting to jump right in. 

No comments: