Friday, July 16, 2010

The beauty and the beast.

Today is the last day of our road trip.  We left the Alghero area which was a hustling big city.  I wish I had planned more time to visit there.  We drove South along the West Coast of Sardinia today and it reminded us a lot of the California coastline.  It truly was a beauty.

 IMG_1929 IMG_1932 IMG_1935

Several of the towns we drove through had real works of art on the sides of buildings and fences.  This one was as we entered Tavola.  Apparently Sardinia has a history of Vendetta’s amongst family groups.

IMG_1936

We found out that Sardinia is the second largest producer of cork products in the world.  The only cork I have seen was made into souvenirs.  Today I finally noticed an area where the bark had been cut away from the trees and had John stop the car.  Yes, it was a cork tree and there were several large pieces laying around but I only took a small portion…what would I do with a large piece of bark??  Actually some stores sell it as serving trays.

IMG_1937 IMG_1711 IMG_1712

I have to add a comment about the driving here on Sardinia…it is truly a beastly thing.  Not only are the roads so curvy I almost got car sick but the drivers coming at you take up more than their share of the road…WAYYYYYY over the white line.  Then if you aren’t going twice the speed limit, they tailgate you until you are or you move aside for them to pass.  Today as we stopped at a gas station to refuel the rental car, I took a picture of the reason for all this chaos.  Only in Sardinia have I seen a BAR at a gas station…talk about drinking and driving????  The gentlemen that gave John directions yesterday were at a gas station having a drink but I thought nothing of it then.

IMG_1938

No comments: