Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Trials of Travel

While Jay Sea Dee is in repair mode I decided to head home, back to the USA. 

Going from Almerimar Marina to Almeria airport, definitely take the taxi.  It was 60 Euros and it took about 45 minutes but the bus alternative had three changes and with luggage it would have been hard.
Ryan Air was fine until a guy showed up to work the gate and EVERYBODY got in line and I was just sitting there in awe of what was going on and how long the line got in just a minute.  Thank God I had bought the Priority Boarding for 6 Euros and I went to the front of the line to ask if I had to stand in line and he let me go through immediately. 


Then you get on the plane and you take whatever seat you want...another ORDEAL...but I got a front ROW 2 window so I was happy.


Got into Madrid on time and followed the Baggage Claim signs but ended up in a baggage area with no RYAN AIR listed on any monitor.  I ask a security guard where is Ryan Air.  I get the questions, where did you come from, etc.  Then he says I have to go to Terminal 1 which is where I thought the plane landed and go up a level.  I go all the way back across the terminal, go up a level...no baggage claim.  I find an information desk where several people are asking where Ryan Air Baggage is.  Then we proceed down a level as instructed and go to find Lounge 2.  Well, Lounge 2 is where the people are exiting from the baggage area (where you stand with a sign to meet whoever you are meeting coming off a plane).  I don’t think you are supposed to walk through a security area so I go to find another information booth.  I find a RYAN air booth and he rudely tells me the same story so I go look for someone else and he says "Just knock on the doors".  I knock and nobody opens the doors.  So I pass the whole crowd and look inside where everyone is Exiting and the guy waves me in and directs me to the baggage claim where only my two bags are left and one other lone bag.  Could they make it any harder? 


I drag my luggage out to the taxi/shuttle area and wait for the hotel “free” shuttle a  while.  I don't see the hotel shuttle so I just hop in a taxi...another 20 Euros but soooooo worth it...I could not take any more.


I bought some chips and Pepsi Light so that will be my dinner.  Off to shower (no bath...what was I thinking???) and then crawl into bed.  I did make my “free” shuttle reservation for the morning.

Flight from Madrid to Charlotte was uneventful although there were only two TV screens on the whole plane for a 9 hour flight…what is up with that???

I arrive in Charlotte, pick up my checked bag, go through Customs, redeposit my bag and head through another Security check.  They make me go to the full body X-Ray scan and when I go through they tell me I need a full pat down.  I gather all my stuff and head off to the side with the Female TSA lady.  She finds two Euro coins in my pocket (where I put them after buying coffee in Madrid and COMPLETELY FORGET they are there).  But I still get the full body pat down treatment.

Another flight to Houston and see my Jacquelyn running to me and I know I am home and Happy!

No comments: