Sunday, August 7, 2011

Buon Giorno

Yes, we are back in Italy. We left Cavtat, Croatia yesterday after having begged the harbor police to not make us pull the boat up to the customs dock just to check out (we were anchored in a nearby bay).  They were very resistant at first, holding our passports as ransom, but finally allowed us to go but we had to “Leave Now”.

The seas are calm and we are headed to Riposto, Sicily.  This is my first 3-day, 2-night sail and I must say I’m trying to make the best of it.  I am not fond of overnighters because I get bored (can’t read while on the boat…makes me feel ill…the Captain says it’s all in my head).  Last night we enjoyed a beautiful sunset.  It seems so much more intense at sea…like God is putting on a show just for you because there is no one else around for miles!

IMG_5400

Then I made supper including a salad with every kind of produce we had on board and Pasta Carbonara…a new favorite of ours.  Next, watched a movie and then fell fast asleep.  I woke up for my “watch” at 3am and relieved the Captain so he could go below for some much needed shut eye.  The stars were unbelievably bright and so 3-D…again, some show God awards sailors with.

There is nothing better than being up to watch the rosy glow of the sunrise with a nice hot cup of coffee. What a great way to start a new day!  Today will be spent typing this blog, laying out on the back deck taking in the Italian sunshine, maybe another movie or two.  You know, I might just make it after all .  You’ll never guess how the sea found its own way to entertain me.  We saw many sea turtles who would pop underwater just as I focused for a great pic.

IMG_5407

We saw pods of dolphins playing and enjoying the flat water as much as I.

IMG_5412IMG_5413IMG_5415

We were 21 miles offshore and spotted this SHARK Surprised smile

IMG_5405

And look…another sailboat on the horizon:

IMG_5409

You know, I might just make it after all Open-mouthed smile

1 comment:

GregK said...

GREAT POST!

Night at sea brings its own special challenges, fears, and most importantly - Rewards!

It's amazing you managed to get a picture of that shark. It's an elusive Adriatic Big Blue! Looks like was pausing to sun itself.

And Pasta Carbonera!! YUM! That's quite a meal for at sea. What every happened to Dry Biscuits hard tack and a shot of Rum? With meals like that I think John might have to kidnap you for the big trip.

for We got hooked on that in Rome, and since then I've